Next Stop, Adventure
Embark on a thrilling adventure featuring non-stop excitement in the spectacular tropical island Jamaica. Leave the world behind and explore your wildest fantasies on a zipline over the jungle. Ride ATVs along roaring rivers and dance the night away to sweet reggae music under brightly lit stars.
There are endless adventures to have in Jamaica and it can be hard to know what to tackle first. We’ve lined up an exhilarating five-day ride so you can see, do, and experience the best of our wicked little island.
Are you the type to hit the ground running even after a day of travel? Then grab a quick lunch at your resort or hit the streets in whichever town you’ve landed to hunt for some of the best street food around. No matter what time of day it is, some jerk chicken and a bubbling pot of soup is somewhere to be found in the busy thoroughfares of our cities. Just ask a taximan!
When you’re fueled up, it’s time to hit a beach bar to kick off your wild ride. Margaritaville has good food, flowing tropical cocktails, and the latest hits pumping through the air in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and Negril. These are open-air bars, perfect for enjoying your first crimson sunset in your new and alluring surroundings.
Get up early, it’s time to get going! Book a tour with Chukka Adventures. They’re located all along the north and south coasts and will take you ziplining, river tubing, horseback riding, and ATV trailing. If you can, make a whole day of it and head to the Chukka located at YS Falls in St. Elizabeth. It’s about a two-hour drive away from Montego Bay or Negril and totally worth the trip. These falls aren’t as famous as Dunn’s River but are just as majestic. Climbing them and ziplining down is the experience of a lifetime.
While you’re in St. Elizabeth, hop on a fishing boat over to Floyd’s Pelican Bar, dubbed the coolest bar in the world. It’s a floating bar out in the Caribbean Sea serving up cold Red Stripe beers and freshly prepared seafood.
Today takes you back out in nature, but to explore a little off the beaten path. Head into the hills of St. Mary, about 45 minutes from Ocho Rios, and seek out Old Spanish Bridge or Blue Hole. These are river attractions where you’ll find locals freediving into the unbelievably pure and refreshing turquoise waters below.
While you’re there, head to the childhood home of Bob Marley that’s now a museum, offering a look into the life of our musical legend.
What’s a trip to Jamaica without some cliff jumping at Rick’s Cafe in Negril? The capital of casual, Negril is a must-see while in Jamaica for its amazing sunsets and laid back vibe. It’s an hour-and-a-half away from Montego Bay, so make a day of it in Negril and head to JamWest Motorsports & Adventure Park for ATVing and ziplining. At JamWest, you can also reach top speeds in a race car to really get your heart pounding.
If you were hoping for more waterfall chasing, Portland is your spot. This is perfect if you’re based in Ocho Rios or Kingston since it’s about two-and-a-half hours from both locations on the eastern side of the island. Here you’ll find a handful of waterfalls such as Reach Falls and Somerset Falls, black sand beaches to explore, the “bottomless” Blue Lagoon, and surfing over in Boston Bay.
Boston Bay is the home of the famous jerk method of cooking, so be sure to stop for some authentic jerk chicken and grab a bottle or two of the marinade to take home.
After several splendid days filled with trips around Jamaica, it’s time to relax a little closer to your resort.
Spend your morning leisurely walking along the beach at Doctor’s Cave in Montego Bay, Long Bay Beach in Negril, or Ocho Rios Bay Beach. These are local favorites and will be crawling with music, good food, and good vibes.
If you’re still craving a bit of adventure before you head out, try the floating water park at Puerto Seco Beach in Discovery Bay. This is about halfway between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay and will test your agility as you try to keep from falling in the sea splashing below.
After a rip-roaring time on the island of adventure, we bid you farewell until we meet again. Take a handcrafted souvenir and a bottle of rum or two to remember us by.
Read More About Adventure
- Awesome Jamaica Adventures
- Be honest. When you think about a vacation to Jamaica, you’re thinking about sitting on a beach listening to Bob Marley and eating something jerked. To be fair, that sounds amazing. But do you have any idea how many awesome adventures are available in Jamaica? Well, there’s too many to... See More
- Explore further: 6 waterfalls to get you off the resort
- Jamaica is rich in its landscape: from lush vegetation, to dense rainforests and mountainous countrysides to the soft, white-sand beaches you’ve come to love about this paradise. Nature is truly Jamaica’s best draw, and we don’t just mean the turquoise waters...venture off your... See More
- Hiking the Blue Mountain Peak in Jamaica
- It's about 2:00am and pitch black. A crisp breeze blows the sleep out of your eyes, and you flick on your flashlight. It shines with a dull orange glow, illuminating a fraction of a rugged path. Muscles tight, and bones creaking in the cold, you begin your hike - a seven-mile trek up to the... See More
- A Run in the Sun- Reggae Marathon in Negril, Jamaica
- By Guest Blogger: Warren Brown The Reggae Marathon is an institution and for some runners, it’s a fixture on their event calendar. On my first visit to the event, which just celebrated its 16th year, it proved to be a fun and well organized event with the added benefit of having Jamaica as... See More