Sport in Jamaica
the land of sporting giants
We are the fastest runners in the world and we've got the hottest bobsled team! This is Jamaica, the home of sports.
The crack of the gun sounding whipped through the air of the Games of the XIV Olympiad as the 400m began. Forty-six point two seconds later, Jamaica's love affair with medals began as Arthur Wint took home Jamaica's first Olympic Gold Medal. From the 1948 London Games till now Jamaica has dominated on the global stage in the field of athletics and made significant strides in every sporting event we put our minds to. Cricket, football, swimming and even bobsled have all been played by Jamaicans at the highest level.
Perhaps it's the community football games on a grassy field with rocks for goal posts that instilled the love of the game in the heart of a nation. We love to play! Competition thrives in the land of the fastest sprinters. Everything from football to basketball, cricket to golf, volleyball to netball to track and field are all practiced on island in professional and leisure capacities. Catch a game while you're here at the National Stadium or the Sabina Park in Kingston. Look out for famous sportsmen and women like the Honourable Usain Bolt, Elaine Thompson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Asafa Powell or Omar McLeod while on island.
More on Sports
- A Run in the Sun- Reggae Marathon in Negril, Jamaica
- By Guest Blogger: Warren Brown The Reggae Marathon is an institution and for some runners, it’s a fixture on their event calendar. On my first visit to the event, which just celebrated its 16th year, it proved to be a fun and well organized event with the added benefit of having Jamaica as... See More
- Fitcation in Jamaica: Actively Exploring the Home of All Right
- You’ve spent weeks planning your long-awaited vacation. You’ve prepared an itinerary jam-packed with hours of sunbathing, relaxing spa visits and adventurous tours. No doubt exploring the local culture and food will be high on the priority list. Yet you fear the post-holiday bulge as... See More
- Spinning® in Jamaica
- By Guest Blogger Warren Brown I’m pedalling with no end in sight. As the sweat pours onto my bike, I fight every urge to give up. My legs hurt. Despite my fear of another hill, I keep pedalling. It feels like we’ve been at this for hours, but I’m sure it’s only been 15... See More
- Sportsmanship – Island Style
- By Guest Blogger Warren Brown They say that good sportsmanship involves treating each other with respect. It is also about supporting one another, and helping to conquer someone’s athletic goals. I was introduced to the incredible power of positive sportsmanship during the inaugural... See More
- The RuJohn Foundation: Impact Investing That Educates Jamaica's Youth
- The RuJohn Foundation: Impact Investing That Educates Jamaica's Youth Stories abound of foreign charity volunteers bearing gifts of T-shirts and basketballs earmarked for disadvantaged children in rural communities. Rarer however, are foundations whose volunteers return to their home countries See More
- Water Sports? Check.
- Photo courtesy of Jewel Resorts Planted in the crystal clear Caribbean Sea, Jamaica is one of the best spots to get sporty on the water or meet some sea life. If you want to paddle out to watch the sunset or dive down to swim among the fish, we have the perfect suggestion. Jewel Resorts provides See More
- Where to Stay for Reggae Marathon 2018
- Reggae Marathon 2018 will be held on December 2 nd starting at 5:15am at the Long Bay Beach Park in Negril. This fixture on Jamaica’s event calendar attracts over 2,300 runners visiting from more than 38 countries. This is complemented by Jamaicans who come together from all across the island... See More