Traveling with the whole family can be a fun experience, especially when everything is all planned out for you. Keep everyone in your group entertained with a mixture of sight-seeing, adventure, relaxation, and cultural things to see and do when visiting everyone’s dream destination. Take a look at our rundown of an exciting Jamaica family vacation for a five-day trip no one will soon forget.
An all-inclusive family resort is a perfect base for Jamaican family vacations. These resorts allow everyone to satisfy their desires, be it entertainment, food options, or things to do all within the comfort of your resort. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios have plenty of these resorts and both are great central locations to kick off your week. Whichever you choose, there will be a handful of pools and a breathtaking beach steps away from your room. After a long day of travel, relax and take in the beauty of the landscape and fresh air you’ll call home for the next five days.
If you’re not at an all-inclusive resort, then take a leisurely walk through the town. In Montego Bay, a walk along the Hip Strip against the backdrop of the setting sun will engage your senses as wafts of jerk chicken and the sounds of island life float through the air. Follow the tantalizing scents and try your first bite of street food or pop into the famous Usain Bolt’s Tracks & Records for some local eats.
In Ocho Rios, the newly opened boardwalk is your place for amazing views and lots of delicious food. Then head back to your hotel to rest up for a day of adventure starting early the next day.
Today is a day of adventure. Jamaican first-timers will want to see some of our world-famous sites. The early bird will catch the spectacular views and avoid any crowds. Head to the gorgeous Dunn’s River Falls, right there in Ocho Rios or about an hour away from Montego Bay, to climb the iconic waterfall that tumbles gloriously into the sea. It’s an easy and refreshing climb that the whole family will love.
Right next door, you’ll find Mystic Mountain, another outdoor attraction featuring an exhilarating bobsled ride through the mountainside. This location also boasts a waterslide and pool, a tramcar ride, and an aviary with beautiful tropical birds and other animals to view.
Stop at Miss T’s Kitchen in the heart of Ocho Rios for Jamaican food that everyone loves. Or head into Scotchies or the Ocho Rios Jerk Centre for a quick local lunch as you make your way back to your hotel for a relaxing afternoon.
It’s time to see the sights. This time a little more leisurely as yesterday was full of adrenaline. Take a long road trip down to the South Coast, a couple of hours away from both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. This will give you the opportunity to see the hilly interior of the island or the breathtaking views along the coastline, depending on the route you take. Stop along the way to sample fresh fruit at roadside vendors and snap photos at the incredible scenic spots you’ll find.
Once you’re on the South Coast, have lunch at Lovers Leap, a historic location high above the rugged coastline, home to Jamaica’s own Romeo and Juliet love story. The food here is as incredible as the view.
If you prefer to be right on the beach, the charming fishing village in Little Ochi will serve you up a feast from the catch of the day. Enjoy the freshest seafood against a backdrop of the crashing waves with reggae music and seagulls floating in the air. Stop on your way back to try the pepper shrimp, a local delicacy that’s sold right on the roadside.
It’s time to explore the community. Enjoy the serenity of nature as you take a river raft down the Martha Brae, conveniently located right between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Your guides will regale you with tales of the land and more, and encourage you to stop at the riverside restaurant for some tasty treats.
Another option is to head to the hills to visit the Rastafari Indigenous Village, just outside Montego Bay, to learn more about this part of our culture. They are a warm and friendly community waiting to welcome you, show you around, and teach you about Rastafarianism. You’ll be entertained while you learn from the villagers and have the opportunity to take home a handcrafted piece of history with you.
After a full and packed trip, enjoy your in-house breakfast today. Perhaps there’s time for one last dip in the Caribbean Sea before you head off on your journey home. If so, then Harmony Beach is minutes away from the Montego Bay airport. So too is Doctor’s Cave Beach. Reflect on the wonderful family memories made in Jamaica as you tasted, toured, and sampled the best of our island.
Read More About Family
- 5 Reasons Why an All-inclusive Resort is Perfect for Families
- Resorts in Jamaica offer the perfect family-friendly vacation at an all-inclusive resort that really is all-inclusive, even tips, meals and activities. Planning a family-friendly vacation has never been easier than when you book a stay at an all-inclusive resort. Forget about the hassles of sorting See More
- 5 Tips for a Fun-filled, Low Stress Family Vacation
- Plan a fun-filled family vacation at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica using five simple tips for a low stress getaway that' ll create many memorable moments. It takes a bit of time and planning to arrange a memorable, family friendly vacation, but it's worth it. With a getaway to an... See More
- 5 Unforgettable Days in Jamaica » Daily Mom
- For many of us winter means cold weather, low temperatures and plenty of time spent indoors. Even if you’re one of those lucky families enjoying a milder climate during winter, we bet you’re still catching yourself daydreaming about summer already. If that’s the case,... See More
- Family Travel in Jamaica: Top 10 Resort Kids’ Clubs
- Travelling with the family can be a challenging ordeal, with persons of various ages all hoping to enjoy their trip in a unique way. In Jamaica however, that’s no problem, with family friendly resorts offering activities for every member of the family. These hotels offer clubs and programs... See More
- Water Sports? Check.
- Photo courtesy of Jewel Resorts Planted in the crystal clear Caribbean Sea, Jamaica is one of the best spots to get sporty on the water or meet some sea life. If you want to paddle out to watch the sunset or dive down to swim among the fish, we have the perfect suggestion. Jewel Resorts provides See More