Book your travel
Trip Planner
Find a Travel Agent

Social
Falmouth Heritage Walks

Falmouth Heritage Walks

  Falmouth, Trelawny Parish, Jamaica


Add to Trip Planner

Contact Details

Description

Falmouth Heritage Walks offers a guided walking tour of Falmouth, a historic port town located between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios on Jamaica’s north coast, that is perfectly laid out to be explored by walkers. If you are a history buff, walker, or admirer of British colonial architecture…..this tour is for you! Colonel Thomas Reid founded the town in 1769, and the historic fabric that still remains will delight visitors as they leisurely walk on streets that were laid down over 240 years ago.

HIGHLIGHTS

  • The tours starts at the magnificent cut-stone Falmouth Court House built in 1815 and re-built in 1926 after it was destroyed by fire. To the seaward side of the courthouse is a small cenotaph, erected in honour of Jamaican soldiers who fought and died during World Wars I and II.
  • Arleigh House, also known as the Moulton Barrett House, was built around 1795, and is said to have housed an exclusive school operated by Arabella Moulton Barrett, a relative of Elizabeth Barrett Browning. A free woman of colour, who owned two other lots in Falmouth, originally bought this plot of land from Edward Barrett. The two-story building is fitted with its original columns and the unusual feature of vertical shingles on the exterior walls of the top floor.
  • The Baptist Manse is a finely crafted cut stone building that was built in 1798 as a Masonic Temple by the Athol Union Masonic Lodge of the Scottish Constitution. It was auctioned to the Baptists in 1832 and served as residence for famed preacher and abolitionist William Knibb. The building is the current base for the Western Headquarters of the University of Technology.
  • Water Square has historically been the centre of commercial activity in Falmouth, always surrounded by shops and businesses. It also served as the location for Sunday markets until the Albert George Market was built in 1894, and today the market tradition continues in yet another location as the famous Bend-Down Market on Wednesdays. The Square gets its name from the masonry water reservoir that dominated the centre of town for over 150 years. Built in the late 1790s to supply fresh piped water to its residents, even before New York City had their own water supply, it also served to provide easy access to water to fight the frequent threats of fire. 
  • The William Knibb Memorial Baptist Church was built in 1944, having been destroyed by a hurricane, but sits on the same site that housed the original church, built in 1831 and rebuilt in 1836 after the militia destroyed it in 1831. During the early 19th century the Baptists were at the forefront of the movement to abolish slavery in Jamaica. William Knibb, one of the most influential of the Baptist abolitionists, served as pastor of this church from 1830 until his death in 1845, and is buried on the church grounds with his wife.
  • St. Peter’s Anglican Church or the Trelawny Parish Church, is the most visited national monument in Falmouth. Built in 1796 it is the tallest public building in the town and features a high pulpit and ceiling, stained glass windows and mahogany furnishings. In 2012, His Royal Highness Prince Harry took part in the re-commissioning of the church clock that had been recently refurbished. The clock was specifically commissioned for the church in 1796 and built by Francis Perigal of Bond Street in London, son of a Huguenot family of celebrated horologists.


Facilities
Walking tours, Cultural tours